KIWI & BIRDING ADVENTURE - an overnight package to Stewart Island
For anyone seeking an adventure in the wild. Spend a delightful day on Ulva Island, then Journey along Freshwater River, then inland across wetland & tussockland in the footsteps of kiwi to stunning Mason Bay.
What We Do:
note: depending on high tide requirements
for Kiwi Journey tour, the guided tours may operate in reverse.
• Either fly to Stewart Island from Invercargill Airport (anytime) or take the coach to Bluff for the ferry from Bluff to Stewart Island (anytime).
• Transfers provided to your accommodation (except for backpackers).
• Accommodation in Stewart Island.
• Approximately 1 hour trip briefing may be held this evening or the next day (depending on all client arrivals).
• Transfers to / from your accommodation and Golden Bay Wharf
• Full day Ulva Island Birds & Forest Guided Walk with picnic lunch
Day 3 to Day 4:
• Transfers from accommodation to Golden Bay Wharf - timings will depend on high tide access to Freshwater River.
• Your guide will take you on our overnight Kiwi Journey (boat into Freshwater Landing and boat out the next day).
• Spend the night in a backcountry hut or camp (we will not know till the day as Mason Bay hut cannot be pre-booked).
• Return from guided walk - timings will depend on high tide access from Freshwater River - our tours generally come back around 3 to 4 pm.
• Depart Stewart Island on the last flight to Invercargill or the last ferry to Bluff. If travelling by ferry the coach will take you to Invercargill.
If you are only one or two persons, check to see if we have achieved minimum numbers
or we can put you on our wait list.
Persons: 6 (for this package)
All year round, but subject to
high tides for Kiwi Journey and daylight hours in Winter months. See Departure
Flight / Ferry Schedules: See our Getting Here web page.
Cost of Package: See Overnight Packages Summary
1. If flying - flights to and from Stewart Island and Invercargill Airport
2. For ferry travel, coach transfers between Bluff and Invercargill. (we will notify you of the designated coach pick-up / drop-off points)
3. Two nights accommodation of your choice.
4. Transfers to / from accommodation on arrival / departure except for Backpackers.
5. Ulva Island - Birds & Forest full day guided walk with transfers to and from Golden Bay Wharf, picnic lunch, Department of Conservation Fees.
6. Kiwi Journey (boat in / out) overnight trek, return water taxis, hut/camp fees, all meals, hot drinks, snacks whilst on Kiwi Journey, use of cooking and eating equipment and tents / sleeping mats if not staying if not in hut, transfers before and after your tour, Department of Conservation Fees.
7. $1.00 p.p. donation into our conservation fund.
8. Package administration.
1. Additional nights accommodation in Stewart Island before or after, based on your budget.
Accommodation in Invercargill or Bluff before / after coming to Stewart Island, based on your budget.
3. At our discretion and subject to staff availability - if we operate tours below the minimum numbers - any applicable surcharge/s as stated on this website and your itinerary for the specific tour.
1. Hire or backpacks $30.00 p.p. and sleeping bags $30.00 p.p. - these can be hired from us.
Now (click here to make a booking)